In This Issue
Schedule of Events
Join us in 2020!
January 25 Annual Awards Banquet
March 8* Annual General Meeting
April 18* Open Show
May 30* Open Show
June 6-7 Island Classics Arabian Show
July 11* Open Show
Sept 5-7 Saanich Fair Horse Show
* Tentative dates
Getting Ready for 2020
Your input is always welcome! Do you have any suggestions to improve our events, or any beefs or bouquets? The VIAHA directors want to hear them. Come out to a meeting or contact any member of the executive.
The club’s goals and events for the coming year are set at the Annual General Meeting, held in Victoria on a Sunday afternoon.
General Meetings are usually the first Monday evening each month, where we work towards accomplishing the goals. The directors will soon be working on next year’s show schedule and class lists.
Are you planning to compete in 2020? Check the expiry date on your membership cards and make a note when they need to be renewed. Horse Council BC is required for all competitions in BC, and you may also need an Equestrian Canada Sport Licence and AHA Completion Card to show at specific shows. At the Island Classics Arabian Show, the all-breed Open Dressage classes require an EC Licence but not an AHA card, whereas the Arabian classes require both. Recreational members that only show at our Open Shows may apply at the first show they attend.
All members are encouraged to come to any and all meetings. Check the website for meeting dates and locations, or for contact information for the club directors.
Saanich Fall Fair Horse Show 2019
The 2019 show season came to an end with the Saanich Fair Horse Show which was cosponsored by VIAHA and the Saanich 4-H Horse Club. Prize money was offered in both regular and championship classes and over $4000 was handed out to the winners.
The show was awarded 2nd place “Best Decorated Section” at the 2019 Fair, thanks to the hard work and imagination of our exhibitors! Overall, the competition was excellent and the exhibitors and volunteers had a great time.
See you next September!
Alison Campbell-Wright on Azaria won the High Points for Beginner Rider and Junior English (13 years & Under)
Risky Business ridden by Annie Walling is High Point Beginner Horser
Mila Anderson on Gem received the High Point NRTCIP Junior
Amy Steen rode Westeros to High Point NRTCIP Senior
Mackenzie Steer rode Muddys Mr Diamond to High Point Junior English (14 to 18 years) as well as receiving the Merle Rimmer Memorial Trophy for Quarter Horse Versatility
Alora Milton on Cheyenne's Candy Time is High Point Senior English
Mallory Campbell rode Foxes Millionaire to 2 High Points: Junior Western (13 years & Under) and received the Lauren Mattear Memorial Trophy as Over All Junior Rider
Desiree Telford on Romars Dial N Angel won High Point Junior Western (14 to 18 years)
Becca Keller on Potentially an Asset received the High Point Senior Western
Storm Watch J ridden by Maddy Vander Kuyl is High Point Arabian or Part-Arabian Horse
Sheree Mason rode Hyde n Seek to the title Over All Senior Rider and received the Amanda Zinger Memorial Trophy
Many Thank Yous to the generous sponsors of this event:
Burkmar Automotive, High Horse Tack, JEM Arabians, NAI Commercial (Victoria) Inc. &
Bev Highton, RKS Paints, Superior Collision, Twin Cedars Arabians, VIQHA and VIAHA!
Canadian National Arabian Championships ResultsAugust 11 to17 at Keystone Centre, Brandon MB
Canadian Nationals was a great success this year even with a large VS outbreak in the US which meant about 110 horses could not enter Canada to show.
772 horses, 2334 entries! Leveling was added to the ATR classes.
Our members that took the 2,000 km trip to Brandon MB last August did very well!
Grace Shure won 2 National awards with Island Tempest
Top Ten Arabian Western Pleasure JOTR (14 - 18) and
Top Ten Arabian Western Pleasure JTR Choice
Minnie Trimingham won a total of 5 National awards with her 2 horses.
With Island Prince Johari:
Top Ten Arabian Hunter Pleasure JOTR (13 & under)
Top Ten Arabian Hunter Pleasure JTR Choice
and with Akita’s Jewel:
Top Ten Showmanship (13 & under),
Top Ten Arabian Western Pleasure JOTR (13 & under) and
Top Ten Arabian Western Pleasure JTR Choice
Andrea Pringle expertly showed Island Shimmer to
Reserve Champion Arabian Sport Horse Mares In-Hand - Dressage Type, and
Top Ten Arabian Sport Horse under Saddle Junior Horse
Regional and International NewsRegion 17 Championship Show: June 23rd to 28th, 2020 in Red Deer AB - dates include Pre-show
Entrants must qualify at a local show such as the Island Classics
Western Canadian Breeders Championships: July 16th to 19th, in Chilliwack BC
Your horse must be registered with CAHR or CPAR - No other qualifications required
Region 17 Fall Meeting - October 5, 2019 in Edmonton AB
• The 2019 Regional show at Thunderbird was a financial success. Big thank you to Show Commission for their hard work. Fund raising and sponsorships have already started for the 2020 Regional show. Contact Emma Trotter Dybka, Sponsorships Chair, to support the show.
• The last Select Stallion Auction took in less than expected. The committee requested they move the on-line auction dates from July to November with the Buy-back and Minium Bid purchases in January. As the Auction is no longer tied to the Regional show, it was felt this would be a better time of year to run the bidding, closer to the spring breeding season.
• Tex Kam, Canadian Arabian Horse Registry President, reported on CAHR business. All registrations are now handled by AHA in Denver: AHA provides the clerical functions following the rules of CAHR. The Western Canadian Breeders show is a Regional equivalent when earning qualifications for National shows. The show is owned and manged by the Registry.
• Kade Brassington was appointed as Region 17 Youth Director and Leslie Harpur is our new Youth Coordinator.
• The 2020 Directory will be out in the New Year along with the Breed Guides.
• Regional Hi-Point entry forms are available on the Region 17 website and must be sent to Karen by Dec 31st. New this year is a Sport Horse Amateur/Junior rider category. To qualify for the Hi-Point awards you must have shown at the 2019 Regional show.
• Rob Calnan was Re-Elected as Region 17 Director and Sylvia Carruthers was Re-Elected as Vice-Director. The Secretary and Treasurer are appointed by the Director.
• The Region 17 Spring Meeting will be sponsored by VIAHA on March 21st, 2020 in Victoria.
AHA 2019 Convention - November 13 to 16, 2019 in Tulsa OK
• Over 250 Delegates from all over North America came to attend various committee meetings to discuss the submitted resolutions, listen to guest speakers and meet in the General Session to improve/modify the rules and regulations that AHA runs by.
• The delegates voted to add a Ranch Riding division (to include cow work, trail and ranch pleasure) and to add a Walk/Trot/Jog section for those 11 and over (i.e. 55 & over). They clarified tack and appointments for Sport Horse in-Hand and they made adjustments to Showmanship rules, age splits for Youth and Regional show rules. All the details are on the AHA website
• In addition to being a member of the Competition Advisory Committee, Rob Calnan has been elected to sit on the Ethical Practices Review Board and the Internal Audit Committee. He can be trusted to keep everyone honest!
• Gerald McDonald was elected to another 3-year term as Chairman of the Canadian National Show Commission. He claims it will be his last!
• Rob’s reports of all the meetings he attends as Regional Director are posted on the Friends of the Region 17 Arabian Horse Association Facebook page. Check them out to see why he is so busy!
Reports by Rob Calnan and Gerald McDonald
Best Wishes for this Holiday Season
Have Fun with your Horses this Winter!